Who wants some no-bake chocolate chip peanut butter and pretzel granola bars? Aw, man, this was a hard granola bar to name because there are so many goodies inside it!
You know how it is when you go to the store and stare down the boxes of granola bars. One granola bar will have a couple of things that you love. Another granola bar will have one or two things you like, but not the other ingredients that the first granola bar has.
What to do? Which one to buy? Wouldn’t it be cool if you could just find a granola bar that has everything inside it that you’re looking for?
How about just making your own granola bars?
You control the ingredients and can personalize it for what you’re craving.
CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER AND PRETZEL GRANOLA BARS!
Lately I’ve been crazing peanut butter and pretzel granola bars.
And of course, I like anything chocolate, so I need to toss in chocolate chips to just about anything I make!
My chocolate chip, peanut butter and pretzel granola bars have other goodies in them like oats and sunflower seeds.
If you don’t have sunflower seeds on hand, you can substitute a cup of nuts like peanuts, walnuts, almonds, or whatever is in your cupboard.
This recipe for chocolate chip, peanut butter and pretzel granola bars uses chia seeds. Just my little attempt to make the granola bars slightly healthier! I use chia seeds often in granola bars, smoothies, and overnight oats.
See this website if you’re interested in learning about the health benefits of chia seeds. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds
If you don’t keep chia seeds in your cupboard or don’t like little seed texture in what you’re eating, then just omit them.
No-bake is a slightly deceptive title. You’ll need a microwave oven to melt the peanut butter and honey.
No-Bake Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter & Pretzel Granola Bars
1½ cups quick oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup broken pretzels – crush and snap them with your fingers
½ cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup peanut butter
½ cup honey
- Prepare an 8″x 8″ baking dish by lining with parchment paper.
- Put oats, sunflower seeds, pretzels, chocolate chips, and chia seeds into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Put peanut butter and honey into a microwave bowl and put in the oven for 45 seconds. Stir. If needed, put back in the microwave for 30 seconds, until it looks like it will pour nicely.
- Add peanut butter and honey to the oats, seeds, and chocolate chips bowl and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Put mixture into baking dish and press flat.
- Put in the fridge for at least an hour to set. Leaving it overnight in the fridge is OK too.
- Remove from fridge and cut into rectangles. I made 12 granola bars with this recipe. Your number might vary depending on how you cut them.
- Wrap each granola bar in wax paper and store in fridge. Eat within two or three days. Or put in a freezer bag and freeze them to make them last longer!
Yes, it does help with ideas for making your own bars. I was looking because myself and husband love chocolate and wish to lose weight without giving up the need for indulging. We love nuts, chocolate and variety. Being it’s winter and I stock for snowy days that you can’t get to store for goodies, and isn’t that the time you crave things like chocolate.
Thanks JM! Yes, making your own granola bars is easier than you’d think. And you can control the ingredients. The trail mix granola (link above) is a great one for mix and match keeping ingredients as healthy as you like. Both these granola bars freeze well. This recipe for the peanut butter granola bar I wrap in wax paper. The trail mix granola wraps nicely in plastic cling wrap. You can also freeze chocolate chips. If I see them on sale, I buy and put the bag in the freezer so I can use it later, and it halts the expiry date. Also stops me from snacking when they’re in the cupboard. Check out my post http://thelifestyledigs.com/motivated-by-fear-my-weight-loss-plan/ for weight loss tips and how I did it and links to other articles. Just imagine the worst thing that can happen if you don’t lose weight and use that as your motivation. Good luck!